- List of 6 Best Step Trash Cans
- 1. iTouchless 13 Gallon Stainless Steel Automatic Trash Can with Odor-Absorbing Filter
- 2. Rubbermaid Step-On Lid Trash Can for Home, Kitchen, and Bathroom Garbage, 13 Gallon
- 3. simplehuman 40 Liter / 10.6 Gallon Slim Kitchen Step Trash Can
- 4. SONGMICS 16 Gallon Step Trash Can, Double Recycle Pedal Bin
- 5. Brabantia Flip bin 30 Litre Plastic Anthracite with Dark Grey lid
- 6. Wesco Pushboy – German Made – Push Door Trash Can
- How To Choose A Step Trash Can?
Best Step Trash Cans Reviews
Is it time for you to invest in a new kitchen bin? If you want to make your purchase online, we have some advice to give you before you press the “add to cart” button. There is an overview of the various step trash cans on the market.
List of 6 Best Step Trash Cans
1. iTouchless 13 Gallon Stainless Steel Automatic Trash Can with Odor-Absorbing Filter
The iTouchless stainless steel automatic bin is one of the few bins on the market that uses an activated carbon filter to neutralize unwanted odors from waste. And thanks to its hermetic self-closing lid, you can be sure that its carbon filter will continue to do its magic and eliminate bad odors for up to 3 months.
The iTouchless is also equipped with an advanced infrared motion detector that opens the cover when you get closer than 6 inches and closes it automatically when you walk away. This fantastic non-contact bin comes with a beautiful brushed stainless steel shell that is very easy to clean and, as a bonus, can also accommodate all 13-gallon tanks as standard.
2. Rubbermaid Step-On Lid Trash Can for Home, Kitchen, and Bathroom Garbage, 13 Gallon
Made in Wooster, Ohio, the rugged Rubbermaid 13 gallon trash can with lid on will also be at home in your kitchen, office or workshop. Its outer shell in resistant resin withstands many years of use, and the double-action cover that lifts and folds inward makes it possible to dispose of the garbage effortlessly. It also has a removable inner bucket compatible with all 13-gallon tanks and a very functional internal liner locking system. The Rubbermaid 13-gallon step ladder bin offers incredible value for money.
3. simplehuman 40 Liter / 10.6 Gallon Slim Kitchen Step Trash Can
Simplehuman’s thin 10.6 gallon line falls fairly comfortably in the mid-price range of our top 3 step trash can. But don’t be fooled by the price, as this range from Simplehuman is packed with features you would normally only find on high-end models. It has a very respectable lid damping system, a lid locking mechanism, a solid steel crankset designed to last more than 150,000 pushes from the foot and a wheel system with integrated roller.
Its elegant design also makes it ideal for those of you who have smaller kitchens, and its high quality plastic finish is very easy to clean. All in all, a step trash can that will get you your money’s worth.
4. SONGMICS 16 Gallon Step Trash Can, Double Recycle Pedal Bin
The Songmics16 double gallon is the only double bin in our list of the best step trash can. As you can guess, the twin containers of this model are designed to contain both your kitchen waste and your household recyclables . It is offered in a very elegant stainless steel finish with a stain-resistant coating and a fingerprint coating.
The covers are opened by a double pedal control pedal mechanism, the two covers being provided with a good airtightness for a complete hygiene control. It’s not the cheapest on the market, but you basically get two trash cans for the price of one mid-range trash can.
5. Brabantia Flip bin 30 Litre Plastic Anthracite with Dark Grey lid
Brabantia is a well-known waste bin brand whose quality is no longer to be proven. For this section, we have chosen the Flip Bin model, which benefits from a modern design that goes well with any type of kitchen.
Rather high (68.5 cm) and available in several colors, this bin is made to be an object in its own right in your kitchen (it hardly goes under the sink anyway) and its simple and sober look allows it not be too out of place.
The inner bucket is also offered in a color very different from the trash, which creates a very modern border when the trash is closed. It offers a capacity of 30 L, which is more than enough for medium-sized families. Note in passing that it comes with three garbage bags of the brand.
Its lid opens on pressure, which justifies its height (a lower bin would have made use much less comfortable). This opening is certainly easy but, for the price, an automatic or even pedal opening would have been appreciated by some users for reasons of hygiene.
However, this bin has a single solid plastic bin that is easy to clean and its anti-fingerprint coating allows it to stay clean and keep its appearance longer. The non-slip bottom ensures it stays in place and doesn’t damage your floor.
6. Wesco Pushboy – German Made – Push Door Trash Can
The Wesco 50 L Kitchen Bin will proudly sit in the middle of your kitchen. Thanks to its retro look, it serves as much a decorative object as a waste sorting element. It is made of stainless steel. The inner bucket is made of galvanized steel. The materials are washable with water and offer great ease of maintenance. This sorting bin for the kitchen has two 25-liter compartments each accessible by one of the side “Push” hatches. This model measures 44.5 cm high by 36.5 cm in diameter.
How To Choose A Step Trash Can?
The choice of a kitchen bin is often underestimated and the investment undervalued. A trash can suited to your family and your lifestyle will nevertheless make your life really easier, while an improper choice will be felt every day. lt’s best not to skimp on spending on this side.
To decide between the different models available on the market and help you make a choice, we have gathered some important characteristics to consider:
- Dimensions: this choice depends on your personal preferences but also on the capacity required. Some models are intended to be seen in a kitchen, while others can be hidden under a sink thanks to their small size. Some kitchens have even integrated them directly into their cupboards: the trash can opens and becomes accessible by simply opening the door.
- The type of opening: it will condition the dimensions and especially the size of the bin. If a pedal opening can be adapted to all bin heights, automatic or pressure systems will be much more suitable for tall bins, the lid of which is close at hand. They will thus be out of the reach of the little ones, which can be a wise choice.
- The compartments: for people who practice selective sorting and who have room, it is practical to buy a bin comprising several compartments, in order to be able to deposit common and recyclable waste in one and the same place. The recycling buckets in the compartments for selective sorting do not always require a plastic bag for the objects to be recycled, and are easily transportable in the container. Obviously, you must check the size of the different compartments so that it is suitable for your needs.
- Hygiene: like any trash can, it will be in contact with many wastes and bacteria. It is therefore necessary to avoid as much as possible to find everywhere in the house by having a dirty trash. The ideal is therefore to opt for a bin that does not require that you touch it to open or close it (pedal or automatic models) and which is easily washable.
- Materials: most of the bins are made of stainless steel, which gives them great solidity while being easy to clean. A plastic bin is just as hygienic but generally less robust. While most models have an airtight lid that prevents unpleasant odors from spreading, the more sophisticated ones have an odor filter that prevents odors from entering the kitchen.
As mentioned above, the bins are mainly differentiated by their opening system. Five types of openings are available on the market:
- The single-lid bin: it works, as you might expect, by lifting the lid. It is generally inexpensive and can be very large. The main disadvantage is that you need to have a free hand to open it and that if you want to use the trash for a long time, you will have to put the lid (often dirty) somewhere, which doesn’t is not always practical and hygienic.
- The pedal bin: it is much more practical and hygienic since a pedal at the base of the bin allows you to open and close it by simply pressing with the foot (no need to get your hands dirty or have a free hand). Prefer, in these cases, a robust pedal (avoid plastic) and wide, for easy and durable use.
- The push bin: it opens by pressing a little on the lid, which activates a mechanism that lifts it. Just push the cover down until it “clicks” to close it. This type of bin is practical but requires physical contact and a few free fingers, which is not always obvious in the kitchen.
- The built-in trash can: it is integrated in a cupboard or a kitchen drawer, out of sight. This solution frees up floor space and hides the trash. If it is well thought out, the mechanism will be practical and hygienic.
- The automatic bin: it is the most sophisticated, with an infrared detector device which detects when one approaches and automatically opens the lid. In the same way, it will close by itself. This system is of course very hygienic and will therefore appeal to many. Its price is generally quite high due to the technology used, but it is pleasant to use. It usually works with batteries.